Tips for parents of drug addicts
- No addict can be forced to give up the drug.
- Start with yourself. Gain knowledge about addiction and find the courage to deal with it.
- Do not treat the addict on your own.
- Accept the reality - no matter how harsh.
- Do not let the addict control your behaviour. Do not be ambivalent, at any cost. Don't ever panic.
- Do not infuse guilt via moralising or losing your temper.
- Try and understand the addict and make him/her feel that you care.
- Be patient. Do not look for shortcuts. Recovery takes around a year.
- Pray to God. It works.
- Do something. To do nothing is the second worst choice you can make.
- To forcefully hospitalise the addict when he/she is not motivated enough to quit is the worst choice you can make (though it may give you temporary relief).
| President: Dr.Yusuf Merchant
Registered Office: H-1, Sitaram Building,
Palton Road, Mumbai 400 001, INDIA.
Administrative Office: 5-7, 2nd Floor,
Raja Bahadur Mansion, Homi Mody
Street, Fort, Mumbai 400 023, INDIA.
Tel: 0091-22-2269 1484/2261 1650 Fax: 0091-22-2342 1416
Mobile No: (98218 84813)
|© hopeconference.org 2002-2003. Website designed by Netiquette Inc